Sunday, June 1, 2014

Seljalandsfoss: Bucket List Completion

Seljalandsfoss has been on my bucket list for years. It is actually the main reason I even wanted to go to Iceland in the first place. I'd see amazing pictures of the falls in a vibrant orange glow from the setting sun surrounded by bright green grasses and moss. The falls looked like it came from a dream world and I wanted to experience it for myself since I'm a mega waterfall lover.

Seljalandsfoss Iceland

We had already had such an eventful first day and done so much, mom and I were pretty exhausted. But lucky for us, the falls can be seen from the Hvolsvöllur to Vik route and on our way to our guesthouse for that night.

As soon as we came around the curve, I saw it and acted like a 6 year old girl getting to meet her first Disney Princess in Disney World. Seljalandsfoss was as magical as I thought it would be. Since it wasn't sunny at all this day, I didn't get to see the beautiful orange glow from the sunset. But I still got to see my dream waterfall :).

Seljalandsfoss Iceland

There were also two other mini waterfalls falling off of the same area as well. I walked the path to the side that was laid out and ran up to the top of the second one to see the view of the area.

Seljalandsfoss Iceland

There are multiple viewpoints you can get from the falls while you're there if you visit. There is a platform that you can walk up to view it from the side and the path leads down to get behind it. The wind was blowing very hard and it's super wet behind there, so instead of taking my clumsy butt back there, I just admired it from my nice little side view. You can also climb up a steep but short path up a hill on the other side of it as well for another angle.

Path Seljalandsfoss Iceland

Even though it's not the biggest or even considered the best waterfall, I still loved it.

*Note for visitors: During the winter time or at night, the falls are eliminated by bright lights, making the falls come alive during the darkness. If you're lucky, you can even experience the breathtaking northern lights over the falls as well. Make sure you know how set your cameras because it's going to be one helluva site. :)


SUNDAY-TRAVELER-BADGE-WHITE

This is part of the #sundaytravlerseries with Ice Cream and Permafrost and don't forget to support all of the other participants! :)

9 comments:

  1. […] Seljalandsfoss, Iceland I am a huge fan of waterfalls and always have been. Since I began researching places I would like […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] Then, one from my top 15 bucket list, Seljalandsfoss! […]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...Isn't it great when you get to do the things you really want to do in life? I am heading to Iceland in a number of weeks, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool! I would love to see this waterfall in real life one day. I really want to go behind it too even if that means getting wet! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is :) and Congrats!! It's going to be absolutely amazing and I hope you get to see some puffins! Are you doing the whole ring road?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Adelina :) I would have loved to go behind it but I have terrible luck and footing and didn't want to risk slipping haha cuz that would have not been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear that the waterfalls lived up to your expectations. Sometimes when we dream too long about a place, it can disappoint. Looks very pretty. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Frank! And yes, I'm so glad it met my expectations and more :) it was well worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete