Saturday, June 14, 2014

8 Tips for Visiting Iceland

So, before you go barreling off to Iceland to see all this beautiful country has to offer, I have come up with a few tips you should follow. Iceland is great but it is still a small country, with an even smaller population. While in Reykjavik and Akureyri, you'll feel right at home, with restaurants galore and plenty of music stations; but outside of the cities, it's a desolate and undeveloped land. Make sure you're well prepared for your trip and you'll be loving Iceland in no time!

1. Bring an eye mask.
If you are visiting between May and September, you might want to bring an eye mask. It stays light well into the sleeping hours and the suns rises extremely early. In the time that I visited, the sun rose at 4:30 am and didn't set until 10:30 pm and even then it wasn't dark. Sometimes your blinds may not be enough to keep all of the light out.

2. Stop Frequently!
Once you begin your journey, stops are few and far between. It could be 50 to 100 miles until you see the next small town or village. So, stop and fill up when you can and make sure to empty your bladder! Otherwise, you will be sorry.

Iceland Mountains

3. Don't fly in on a Sunday.
We flew in on a Sunday and EVERYTHING was closed and what wasn't closed didn't open until fairly late (about 9 or 10).

4. Bring Snacks.
If we didn't have a few snacks in the car, I'm not sure what would have happened. When visiting the small towns and villages, most of the cafes were closed and when they pointed out one that was open, we couldn't even eat there. My mom is allergic to eggs and those "cafes" that they told us to go to, served nothing but pastries or coffee. I'm not sure if it's easier to find places when it's "in season" for them or what. But we drove around hours a few days looking for a place to eat.

Iceland Town

5. Don't Trust Your GPS!
I recommend getting a map for your trip and using it instead of a GPS. Our rental car company provided us a Garmin for our trip and it didn't really do anything except get us lost... A LOT. The only time we got to where we were going without confusion was when we used our map. So unless you have a really good GPS that is updated, then using a map will be more than enough. Our's had all of the major points of interest on it and more.

6. Bring Your Own Music.
Near Akureyri and Reykjavik, there are plenty of stations to listen to. But once you get out and around the ring road, you only get to listen to talk shows in Icelandic or static. Most of the time it was just static. And quite car rides are difficult to stay awake for. If it weren't for my iPod and the informative CD's Hertz gave us, we would have had rode in a lot of silence.

Iceland Coast

7. Don't worry about exchanging cash or withdrawing any.
Credit cards were excepted everywhere we went in Iceland, even the tiny little guesthouses we were staying at and for any amount. So avoid those ATM fees and rip exchange rates at the airport. Just use your card (and make sure your bank knows about it).

8. Last but not least: Take your time.
There's so much to see in Iceland. Don't try to cram so much of it in at once. Give yourself time to enjoy everything so you're not so exhausted the next day when you get up and start all over again. If you do like us and do the ring road, make sure you prepare well for the first couple of days because there's so much in the beginning and it slows down towards the end of it.

Iceland

SUNDAY-TRAVELER-BADGE-WHITE

This is part of the #sundaytravlerseries with Chasing the Donkey and don't forget to support all of the other participants! :)

20 comments:

  1. Seriously one country I cannot wait to visit! Love your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With just 2 weeks to go till I fly to Iceland, these tips are great, thanks! However, it is exactly 2 weeks; ie I fly in on a Sunday!!! Bit late to do anything about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your tips will come handy when we visit Iceland. I always bring my music on any road trip, but wouldn't imagine not being able to get any radio station. Great to know that credit cards are so wildly accepted. Thanks for joining us for the #SundayTraveler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. I'm thinking about going in September. Your tip about snacks made me laugh....we have a family joke about being afraid to leave the house without someone having snacks in their bag. We're American of course, so that explains everything :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great suggestions that many people may not consider. Beautiful photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. I'll be doing this in a matter of weeks, and I would definitely have relied on my GPS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! It's funny how GPS is suppose to help but I know with mine it is always getting me lost or taking weird roads to get to where I need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like some handy tips for Iceland. Especially good to know are the Sunday closings and the radio situation once you get away from Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips! I'm going to pin this for reference. I really want to go to Iceland sometime next year and this will come in handy! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Emma :) it is such an amazingly beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Phoebe :) it shouldn't be too bad.. maybe it was just because I went during the end of the off season. Have a blast and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Frank, glad to participate :) I always forget to bring music with me and I always wished I remembered. Now I'll always have this to remind me :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Megan! It was my mom's idea to bring all of the snacks...without her, we surely would have expired from hunger :p if you do end up going to September, have a blast and bundle up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Corinne! Hope you have a blast and enjoy the beautiful country :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Brittany, I have stopped relying on GPS. I now rely on my increasingly growing sense of direction :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Brianna! :) I wish I would have known ahead of time... some awkward long stretches of silence and hard to stay awake

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Adelina! Glad to participate and if you end up going, have a blast. It's such a beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the snack idea! It's good to pack some fruits, nuts and sandwiches when you go hiking or exploring the city. It's much cheaper than dining out and you never get tired or hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Agness, Thank you :) and Yes, I have learned my lesson the hard way. I will always pack snacks and ones that easily keep me full too. It saved us so much money and crankiness!

    ReplyDelete