Friday, June 6, 2014

Ghent: The City That Saved Me

Ok, so I know this is way out of order of my traveling but I think it's time for me to update everyone on how things are going.

I have been traveling now for about 3 weeks and everything is pretty awesome for the most part. I love discovering the cities I visit, trying some new foods, meeting new people and exploring the famous sites.

I Amsterdam

I've experienced couchsurfing and hosteling, tried Belgium waffles and almost bought a cannibus lolli pop in Amsterdam and nearly cried my way to the top of climbing a tower in Ghent because of how small the width and steep the stairway was.

Ghent Belgium

But, I'm still adjusting to being on my own since it's only been about 2 weeks officially on my own. Every time I've gotten to a new city and place, I've hated it. Cities make me feel claustrophobic and it was even worse because I was unfamiliar with the place. After I would get to the new city, I'd get to my hostel or host's house, take a nap, freshen up and grab some food. And POOF! Just like that, I'd start enjoying the city and make my way around.

Oslo Norway

With Ghent, it was completely different. The second I stepped off of the train and out into the street, I fell in love with the city.

I began walking to the historic center which was probably only a mile or two away from the station and couldn't stop looking around me. The buildings looked ancient, the streets were so clean, I felt super safe (more so than I have anywhere else I've been to on my own so far) and it wasn't so over-whelming that I felt like I'd loose myself.

Ghent City Center

As I was walking, I saw a hotel and decided to book it because I wanted the feeling I had to last a bit longer. My original plan was to go back to Brussels and stay with someone through couchsurfing who kindly answered my plea for help (since I failed to acknowledge the weekend was coming up and didn't book a hostel, so I had no where to stay, silly me and lesson learned!) but I just didn't think I'd be ready to leave this place. And I was right (even if it did cost me a little over $100.)

Ghent Belgium

After settling in at the hotel, I grabbed a map and started exploring. I did a little bit of research before coming here but I did it months ago and couldn't remember anything that I had looked up. I just let the stoned streets lead me around.

I came across the Gravensteen Castle first and spent the €6 to walk around the castle. I enjoyed the views of the city from some of the higher parts and reading about the torturing methods was pretty... uhhh... interesting.

Gavensteen Castle Ghent Belgium

Then I made my way to Belfry, a huge tower from where you can get panoramic views of the city. While I enjoyed the views, I was quite terrified. I am scared of heights and small spaces and that is what all this place was about!

Belfry Ghent Belgium

Belfry Tower Stairs Ghent Belgium

I also enjoyed getting to explore St. Nicholas and St. Michael's churches. And then I just wondered around and got intentionally lost. The city isn't too terribly big and it seemed easy enough to get back to where I needed to go. I'm starting to get used to asking for help when I can't find my way :p. This is when I ended up loosing my credit card though, and I freaked out momentarily. But quickly called the company and cancelled the card.

Sint Michael Ghent Belgium

I am so glad I ended up coming to Ghent. Even though I barely found a place to stay for the weekend and lost my main source of money, I was in a wonderful place where I didn't feel smothered and over-whelmed by everything around me. It gives me hope to continue my trip and the amazing support that I'm receiving from my friends and family are helping more than they know. I'm so thankful to them all and can't wait to share my journey with everyone.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story made me almost cry... Even though I hate heights I might have taken you up on it. So proud of her. Love you more:)

    ReplyDelete