Thursday, June 5, 2014

Famous Blue Lagoon in Iceland

No matter how long you're visiting or why you're visiting Iceland, the Blue Lagoon geothermal spa is a must. At least this is what everyone told me when they found out I was going to Iceland. I wasn't too keen on going to this place though, because I don't really care about spas.

But, mom said we needed to do it and I signed us up. I'm super glad we ended up doing this! Once we ate our ridiculously good and expensive breakfast in Reykjavick, we made our way to the lagoon. As soon as we came up over a hill, we could spot the steam from the geothermal pools.

Blue Lagoon Iceland

We made our way into the spa and checked in. I knew that it was required for us to wash off before we got into the pools, but it is required to bathe fully naked and wash with the provided shampoo and conditioner and stuff. Thank goodness there were some covered showers because most of the women were just using the uncovered ones, which was a shock for me. I'm not a prude or anything, but old lady parts are not something I enjoy seeing in the morning.

Blue Lagoon Iceland

After bathing and changing, we made our way to the beautiful blue, 98 degree waters of the lagoon. The water from the lagoon is rich in silica, sulfur and other minerals, which are said to have healing properties for certain skin problems. The lagoon is man made and the water comes from Svartsengi, a nearby geothermal power plant that was built in 1976.

Blue Lagoon Iceland

The water was such a comfortable temperature and never too hot. There's also a bar you can swim up to and grab a couple of cocktails and relax for a few ours. On the sides of the lagoon, there are buckets full of a mineral mud mixture. I put this all over my face and shoulders and just let it exfoliate my skin and relaxed.

Afterwards, I felt so refreshed. Jet lag didn't seem to be a problem any more and we were ready to begin our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment