Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Recap of Day 2 In Iceland

Today was just as fast paced as yesterday because we woke up about an hour late. Jet lag, combined with a few hours’ sleep and non-stop go, go, go really wiped us out. But every moment was worth and tomorrow is going to be just as full because we ended today early.

Vik

After being shocked awake at hearing "OMG Taylor, it's 8:30!," mom and I rushed to gather our things, eat breakfast and head out. Our first stop was Skogafoss.

Skogarfoss

We had stopped there the night before to eat dinner but decided to come back today to get some better pictures. Unfortunately, because we woke up an hour late, I didn't have time to run to the top. However, the views from the bottom were perfectly fine.

Vik, Iceland

We headed to Vik to fill up on gas and was pleasantly surprised to see how absolutely gorgeous it was. This beautiful little city sits on the coast with a lot of character.

Iceland Glacier

Next up, Skaftafell National Park. I knew we were there the moment I saw the HUGE glaciers come out right in front of us. Vatnajokull is the largest glacier in Europe and the second largest in the world. Our hike was on Skeioararjokull (don't ask me to pronounce it!) and it was more than I could have hoped for. I also got to try some glacial water! How awesome is that??

Iceland Glacier

The hike took us two hours and after climbing up and down the icy hills of the glaciers, we were both freezing, tired and hungry. So we hopped on over to have some dinner with the best of intentions to return to Svartifoss. Once we sat down, ate and relaxed, the weather went slowly down hill. It got colder while we were inside and started raining.

Iceland

To see Svartifoss, we'd have to do two mile hike there and then two miles back. We decided to head to our guesthouse and come back tomorrow. While that seemed like a great plan at the time, we looked at tomorrows schedule and realized it will be even busier than today.

Iceland

But I do not mind one bit. I came to this beautiful country to see and do as much as I could. Iceland deserves more than 10 days from me, but it is all I can give and I will spend it well. I do not want to end up regretting something I missed out on because I was "too tired." So, here's to tomorrow being an amazingly scenic day!

5 comments:

  1. Omg how gorgeous are those pictures?! That waterfall and the black beach, and the cute little goats!! I'm so glad you're loving Iceland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, they are so cute!!! That waterfall is absolutely amazing, too. Drinking glacier water as well...what a day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anna! Everything here is so gorgeous. I'd just need a day each to admire every stop we had. I'm sad to leave such a beautiful country but already looking forward to returning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor, Love your photos of Skogarfoss...such scale!

    ReplyDelete