Sunday, May 11, 2014

It's The Final Countdown... Graduation

So, I've graduated! Graduation day marked exactly seven days until I leave for my trip and all I could focus on was getting across that stage. Throughout this past week, I had been making preparations for my trip and working out last minute details, not really thinking about one of the biggest milestones of my life.

Coastal Carolina University Graduation

It was an extremely early morning for a graduation but after seeing the weather forecast, it made sense that it started so early in the morning. I woke up at 5:30 am, got ready and made my way to the school.

Coastal Carolina University Graduation

Once I got to the practice field, I got my name card and talked to some friends until they made us line up in alphabetical order. Of course, my last name being Young, I was in the VERY back. Thanks to some guy with a last name that started with Z, I was second to last. And since I was a business major, our class was next up to graduate after the masters degrees were handed out.

Coastal Carolina University Graduation

No feeling will ever compare to the feeling I had as we walked out onto the field to our seats. The stadium was the fullest I have ever seen and there were so many people. As soon as I walked through the opening and stepped onto the field, I broke out in goosebumps and felt true pride and excitement like I never have before, even at my high school graduation. After four years of working my butt off, I was finally getting my degree. It was surreal.

Coastal Carolina University Graduation

After what seemed like hours sitting in the heat and sun and listening to long unnecessary speeches, it was time for us to walk across the stage and shake the President's hand and receive our empty degree holder. I realized that I won't even be seeing my degree, since it won't be coming in for another 6 to 8 weeks. But it didn't matter. As my line got up from their chairs and made its way to the stage, my feelings of happiness and excitement couldn't be contained. I handed my name card to the announcer and broke out in the biggest grin. My face refused to wipe the goofy smile off my face as I excitedly made my way across the stage and accepted my diploma holder from the President.

Coastal Carolina University Graduation

Graduation

I did it. I graduated college. I have accomplished something many people don't in their lives and I am so lucky to have experienced this. College and the people I have met has changed me, made me a tougher person and challenged me in ways I never would have thought of. I wouldn't change it for anything and I am glad I chose to go to college before setting out on my journey. It has prepared me and given me time to save up and learn more about myself. Without having gone to college, I would not be who I am now and am so lucky to have gone through this journey.

Coastal Carolina University Graduation

2 comments:

  1. I just had to comment to say my surname is also Young, and I am also very short! Always at the back when alphabetical and front when its height order! :) Congratulations on graduating! And good luck for your RTW Trip! Looking forward to following your adventures!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ash :) for high school graduation, it was ok being last because it seemed like everyone cheered for me when I walked across the stage haha.. college was way different!

    ReplyDelete