Sunday, May 18, 2014

Brief Overview of Day 1 in Iceland

Today has been hectic and slam full of sight seeing. The tour my mom and I booked was supposed to be for 10 days and 9 nights. But because of jobs, we couldn't get in until one day later and had to put two days together.

Everything worked out though and we only missed out on a few minor parts of the experience.

After picking up our teeny tiny car at the air port, we grabbed some breakfast at a place called Cafe Paris. Before I remembered to take a picture of this delightful breakfast, I had scarfed it all down. Cafe Paris seemed to be the only restaurant opened at 8 in the morning. Iceland appears to be a sleepy town. I'm not sure if it's because we came in on a Sunday or what. But NO WHERE opened until at least 9.

Once we scrunched our faces up at our $50 breakfast bill, we headed to the Blue Lagoon. I was on the fence about this whole blue lagoon experience. But it turned out great and loved it!

Blue Lagoon Iceland

Now that we were nice and relaxed and washed all of the air plane crd off of us, we headed for Thingvellir National Park, where we got to see our first waterfall and the split between two plates (I'm a nerd and TOTALLY thought this was the coolest thing ever and had been looking forward to it from the start of this trip!)

Thingvellir National Park

By the way, I'm purposely uploading some of the more unscenic pictures so I can save the best for each of the individual posts :)

Next up, is the pretty awesome Geysir area. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had seen geysers in Yellowstone, but it was fun to watch!

Geysir

Now on to my favorite part!

WATERFALLS!!!

I don't want to spoil all of the awesomeness that are these waterfalls, so here is a sneak peak ;)

First we have Gullfoss. Absolutely breathtaking but prepare to have a nice shower!

Gullfoss

Then, one from my top 15 bucket list, Seljalandsfoss!

Seljalandsfoss

Tomorrow, I'll be climbing to the top of this one, Skogafoss. Super excited and can't wait to share the pictures! Skogarfoss

I can't wait to share with you all how much I've seen and learned in just ONE day, but stay tuned for some more spectacular awesomeness! :D

6 comments:

  1. It looks like a super eventful first day! I would love to see those waterfalls, and I think Blue Lagoon is something you've gotta do when you're there! I'm so excited for you that you're on your trip at last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue lagoon was awesome! If I ever went again, though, I'd keep my face well covered..the silica face mask works like an exfoliater and my face ended up with terrible wind burn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor, Looking forward to your next posts...isn't it a bummer when you are too hungry to take photos of your food?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yes it is. But there will be other times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. […] had already had such an eventful first day and done so much, mom and I were pretty exhausted. But lucky for us, the falls can be seen from the […]

    ReplyDelete