Sunday, March 16, 2014

Photo of the Week: Roaring Mountain

Roaring Mountain in Yellowstone National Park is a rare and beautiful site. The name comes from the loud hissing and roaring of the many fumaroles (an opening in the earth's crust that releases steam and gas, mostly near volcanoes) located on the mountain side. Back when Roaring Mountain was first discovered, the roaring could be heard from miles away due to thermal activity, but nowadays, it's much quieter.

I visited the area in the early morning in May, so it was still a bit chilly. Because of the chill, we were able to get a better view of the steam coming out of the side of the mountain. While we didn't hear any roaring from the mountain, we did get a spectacular view of the steam coming from the fumaroles. Once it warmed up though, the steam wasn't as visible and it wasn't quite as awesome as when we first passed it. It was just a stroke of luck for us that we passed by it in the morning, as I had never heard of Roaring Mountain before.  The mountain is one of the many gems of Yellowstone National Park.

Roaring Mountain Yellowstone National Park

15 comments:

  1. Great picture. I just love Yellowstone NP with all its interesting geothermic features and natural beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shot! We missed Roaring Mtn when we visited Yellowstone NP. It's such a great park to see the some of Mother Nature's best works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, me too! I could spend weeks there admiring all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mary! I would have probably missed it too if it weren't for the fact we passed it in the morning time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shot! I dont have come across this place before. I guess I would have to wait until it warms up a bit as I dont like the cold too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just saying at dinner that I have Yellowstone on the list for 2015. I hope we can see some steam shooting out of fumaroles. Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bianca! It wasn't too bad when we went... around 60, just a bit chilly is the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yes, Yellowstone is a must! I spent three days there and still want to go back.. and there are plenty of steamy spots to visit, no shortage there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photo, Taylor!
    If you like photography, we would like to invite you to participate in the next edition of our Travel Photography competition. Every week we publish 3 winning shots on our website and write a nice bio with a link to the photographers' websites/FB/Flickr pages.
    Find more details here: http://hitchhikershandbook.com/your-contributions/travel-photography/
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I will look into it and see if I have any worthy photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. […] this road, you can visit Roaring Mountain, Norris Geyser, Mammoth Hot Springs, Canyon Village (where you can see the lower and upper falls), […]

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not positive where you are getting your info, however great topic.

    I needs to spend a while finding out much more or working out more.
    Thanks ffor excellent information I used to be seazrching for this info for my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's going to be finish of mine day, exceplt before ending I am reading this wondeerful article to
    improve my experience.

    ReplyDelete