Thursday, March 27, 2014

Grand Canyon Less Traveled

Since I've been traveling, I have seen some gorgeous and stunning sites across across my own country. From piles of snow in Yellowstone and glaciers in Alaska to tropical forests in Hawaii to the desert like climate of Arches National Park. Along one of my adventures, I got to witness the awe inspiring greatness and splendor of the Grand Canyon.

Instead of choosing to go to the more popular and crowded portion of the Grand Canyon on the south rim, my dad and I decided to visit the western rim. The western rim is unique in that it is not part of the national park services, the area is home to the Hualapai Indian Nation. Hualapai means "People of the Tall Pines" and there are about 1300 tribe members in the reservation, which began in 1883. The Hualapai Nation, like many other Indian nations, have a devastating history of being forced from their lands and homes, suffering through assaults, hunger and and disease to living in camps. Now, the Hualapai Nation has utilized their portion of the Grand Canyon to support themselves and bring in tourists.

Grand Canyon West

Encompassing one million acres and 108 miles of the Grand Canyon and Colorado River, the western rim is certainly a site to behold. It has two main viewpoints, Eagle Point and Guano point, a ranch of the Hualapai people and the Skywalk. You're not allowed to drive yourself through each point but there is hop on hop off bus that is part of your ticket when you book with the reservation.

My first view upon the Grand Canyon was Guano Point. You get a 360 uninterrupted view of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River. The hike you have to take to get up to the point is short and well worth it.

Guano Point

Grand Canyon Colorado River

If I could, I would have stayed up there forever staring at the views.

The next stop was called Eagle Point... Can you guess why? Yes, the rock is formed in such a way that it looks like an eagle and is sacred to the Hualapai people.

Eagles Point

Also at eagle point, is the famous Skywalk. The glass bridge is 4,000 feet above the grand canyon floor and made entirely of glass. It weighs a whapping 1.6 million pounds and cost $31 million to construct.

Grand Canyon Skywalk

As scared of heights as I am, I thought I would be scared walking around the Skywalk, but there was just too much to enjoy. Before walking out on the glass walk, you have to leave everything behind, phones, cameras, purses. They also make you wear these weird foot wraps on your shoes and there are only a few people at a time allowed on the bridge (for obvious reasons). One guy was so terrified while walking out, he refused to let go of the railing and tried to walk through people when they wouldn't move out of the way.

Grand Canyon Skywalk

Even though the tickets to visit the western rim and go out on the Skywalk are a bit pricey, it's worth it. You get to experience a unique visit when going to the Grand Canyon and learn about Hualapai people. We got to watch cultural dances and in the original festival wear, see the farming habits and learn about the local people.

Indian Dancer in Grand Canyon West

Have you ever been to the western rim and walked out on the skywalk? What was your favorite view point?

12 comments:

  1. Breathtaking views! This is so cool. Would you say that this area is less busy than the main spot? Would you recommend going here over the south rim if we were going there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! :) the big main spot is the south rim and in prime season it's ridiculous and filled with people. The west rim has less site seeing spots but less crowded and more cultural. I feel like after a while at the South rim, all the spots would start looking the same anyways. Another spot I would take into consideration would be the northern rim. I unfortunately didn't get to make it there because we got caught in a massive snow storm on the way up and had to turn back around. But i've heard it offers even more beautiful views than the south rim and is way less crowded. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a nice way to see something entirely different and the costumes are stunning...not sure i like the leaving the camera behind so you can't take pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Noel :) I hated having to leave my camera behind but it is a way for the reservation to make more money... They employee professional photographers on the skywalk to take photos of you and then charge a hefty price for getting those pictures. I think I paid $120 for mine but it included the pictures they took of my dad and I (about 10), a shot glass, some old photos of the Indian nation and a few other trinkets. I saw it as worth it because I knew I would probably not visit the area of the Grand Canyon again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place looks unreal. I guess this is where Britney Spear's video for "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman" song. Stunning scenery, really impressive. I am afraid of heights so I would love to make it there! Love you happy face x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Agness :) Britney's video was shot near the Grand Canyon at Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon, which has sites just as beautiful. I would have really liked to visit there as well but my time ran out. I just love the Colorado Plateau region.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a beautiful part of the Grand Canyon. I just made my first trip to the Canyon by helicopter, where we landed inside, which was amazing. But, I'd like to go back to have an experience like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Annette! I really wanted to do a helipcopter ride, as the reservation has their own helicopters and tours you can book, they were just so expensive! But I would love to give it a try one day, as I can imagine it is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! Due to time constraints we went with the easiest route, so the busy southern rim, but it was still magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I bet, I wish we would have had time for both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This place is so beautiful. I would love to be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ben, it really is a great place to see :)

    ReplyDelete