Saturday, April 19, 2014

Kona Coffee

The best part of visiting Kona, was getting to tour the Mountain Thunder coffee farm. Mountain Thunder is a family run, organic coffee farm in the hills of Kona, Hawaii.

Mountain Thunder

Kona coffee is some of the most expensive coffee in the world and is grown organically. Once you try the coffee and see the extensive process of creating it, you'll understand why it's so expensive. The coffee is absolutely amazing and the best coffee I have ever tried in my life. Normal coffee usually gives an after taste and after a while that after taste does not taste too well. Kona coffee has a refreshing taste that doesn't leave any kind of after taste.

IMG_7711

The coffee trees are grown in higher altitude mountains and take longer to mature than normal coffee beans. That is what gives the coffee its different taste. After the cherries are matured and ripe, they turn a nice red color. Then, farmers go through the fields and begin handpicking the ripened cherries from each tree. Some farmers can pick off a few hundred pounds of beans a day! The bean inside the cherry is much stronger in caffeine than the actual coffee when it is brewed. I tried one on our nature walk and was bright eyed and bushy tailed for hours afterwards.

IMG_7712

Another type of coffee the farm produces is called Peaberry coffee. The coffee is made from undeveloped coffee beans. When a cherry doesn't develop all of the way, the bean still continues to grow inside the cherry and creates an egg shaped coffee bean. The taste is said to have a very intense flavor and is extremely rare. Less than 4% of the crops that are picked grow peaberries. Like all of their coffee, it is a high quality coffee once produced.

IMG_7715

Each product made by Mountain Thunder goes through rigorous quality testing and are tested several times a week internally and externally. Each machine used by the company allows the company to use the highest quality coffee beans that are produced by the farm. There are hardly any imperfect beans used when making and sorting the coffee beans, which you can definitely tell when drinking this delicious coffee.

Kona Coffee

While I didn't purchase any of the coffee myself, it is well worth the price. The coffee takes more months to mature than regular coffee, it's handpicked, goes through extensive quality sorting and testing and then sealed with care.

4 comments:

  1. I love coffee and would like to visit something like this to learn more about coffee beans in general. Sounds like a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mountain Thunder was a perfect place to visit for that.. they show you everything from start to finish on how they make it and if you're lucky, you can try a bean straight from the cherry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is some expensive coffee! But I have tried Kona coffee before and it is SO good, I can understand why it is so much! It is probably my favorite type of coffee that I've ever had! I would love to go on a tour like this someday, it looks like so much fun and I'm a coffee addict! I'd like to try one of those fresh beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could have brought some back with me I don't ever drink coffee cuz I'm prone to migraines and didn't want to get addicted but this stuff is definitely worth getting addicted to! If I ever get to go back, I'll gladly drop the $60. If you look up dirty jobs, Steve Rowe did an episode about the farm we went to :) pretty interesting to watch and our tour went into a bit more detail and of course, unlimited Kona coffee samples!

    ReplyDelete